Sunday, October 3, 2010

Legend of the Guardians

Last week, I went to see Legend of the Guardians, a movie based off of a book series spanning 15 books. Yes, FIFTEEN.

The movie is about an owl named Soren(not Sauron) who, along with his brother Kludd, have been captured and taken to a place where the bad owls either A) hire and train young owls to become soldiers under Metal Beak, or B) hypnotize young owls into "picking" for a strange McGuffinesque substance. Soren escapes and seeks out the legendary Guardians of Ga'hoole for help while his brother turns to the dark side.

I've never read any of the books, so why did I see it? Because of the trailer of course.



Epic. One of the many examples/arguments that trailers are art.

So how's the movie?

Well, while the animation is striking, the voice acting is excellent, and they got Zack Snyder ("300","Watchmen") to direct, the film is good but not great. I don't really know what makes a quality film so I basically go by the experience, and the experience ranges from above lackluster to "yeah, it's pretty good". What I mean is, while there are a lot of good things about it, (like the idea of a fantasy story with owls, Zack Snyder's trademark "slo-mo" tactics, getting Owl City, haha funny, to write an original song, etc.) it didn't really blow me away.

As a film, I'd say it's pretty well done, but as an experience, I'd stick with "How to Train Your Dragon".

No comments:

Post a Comment