Monday, October 13, 2014

The Boxtrolls and South Park's "The Cissy"



TL;DW: Imaginative, creative, but not funny. The villainous cross-dressing trope was the straw that broke the camel's back. The camel being my investment in the film. By about the halfway point, I stopped caring and just wanted it to end. So, a somewhat decent movie that I hated.



TL;DW: While the episode does discuss certain aspects of being transgender, there aren't really any transgender characters. Most of the characters who start identifying as trans are actually just cross-dressing for their own wants (Cartman wanting to use the girls' room, Wendy trying to prove a point to Cartman, Randy keeping up the Lorde charade). While not all that offensive, it's also not all that sympathetic.

Oddly enough, I was more offended by Boxtrolls. Probably because with South Park, I had watched quite a bit of the show a few years back, and I saw a few people reacting to the episode before, so I prepared myself for anything. But with Boxtrolls, I didn't know what to expect. Certainly not that.

No comments:

Post a Comment