Thursday, November 17, 2011

Top Ten Favorite Owl City Songs

If you watch my PMV Madness videos on Youtube, you may have noticed that I used, so far, 3 songs by Adam Young's solo project "Owl City". I used "Plant Life" in MLPMV Madness 2, "Galaxies" as an MEP audition piece, and just recently "Hot Air Balloon" in PMV Mini-Madness Ep 5.

The reason is obvious, I love Owl City. Owl City is quite possibly my favorite band/artist ever. I love the techno-synth style, I love the soothing and soaring melodies, I love the lyrics, etc. I love it so much that I'm going to have a REALLY hard time picking my ten favorites, but I'll give a shot.





10. Firelies

Freakin' duh. While the popularity and overplay does cheapen the song for me, I still say that this is one of his best productions. Plus, it's a great insomniac anthem.


9. The Bird and the Worm

This is a love song with probably the most interesting metaphor in lyrical history.


8. Enchanted/In Christ Alone

The first is a very sweet, very lovely cover/"response" to a Taylor Swift song, which Adam did as a way to express his love for Taylor. It's been about a year and they're still not dating. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

The second is a beautifully emotional cover of the famous hymn. Adam did this, quite obviously, to express himself as a devout Christian. The shear simplicity of it is genius. Adam's singing accompanied by a well-done piano arrangement is very moving (and I'm saying this as an Atheist).

Adam has also done a few Christian-themed songs that aren't completely upfront about it, including "Tidal Wave", "Meteor Shower", and another songs that may or may not be on this list.


7. West Coast Friendship

This is one of those songs where, while the lyrics are fairly hard to decipher, it is still really fun to sing along with just because of the long strings of lyrics. See also, "Rainbow Veins" and "On the Wing".


6. Angels

"WAKE ME IF YOU'RE OUT THERE!!!"


5. To the Sky

"It's a soaring song, flying high like a dream." - Brentalfloss, "Ducktales with LYRICS"
This one's interesting because it's one of Adam's only songs where the guitar is more prominent than the keyboard, making it fairly unique.


4. "Hot Air Balloon"

Just a fun, bouncey song with catchy lyrics.


3. "Strawberry Avalanche" 

This song is both dancey and soothing. It's such a pretty arrangement of synthesizers, and the lyrics invoke euphoric imagery. That may sound pretentious, but I still love the lyrics.


2. "January 28, 1986" / "Galaxies"

This is just glorious. The way the Reagan speech flows into the powerful strings intro is freakin' epic.


1. "Honey and the Bee"

Yes, I put the cute love song above the Christian-themed tribute to the crew of the Challenger, call me a hopeless romantic. I love the way this song moves from very sweet and serene to soaring and heart-felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment