Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tag 1 im Deutschland

I've had a long day. I woke up around at about 8 am PST, I took a 9 hour flight from Vancouver B.C. to Düsseldorf, I took an 1-2 hour flight to Berlin, I took a bus to the train station, I applied for a train pass, I took a train, and 3 hours later, FINALLY arrived in Güstrow. I didn't sleep until about 4 pm GT, which is like 7 am PST.

On the 9 hour flight, they had touch screens for each passenger. They had a selection of movies and TV shows to watch and music to listen to. For some reason, they had 10 Bruce Springsteen albums. Anyway, I watched 3 movies on my flight: The Artist, Monster Vs. Aliens, and Justin Bieber's Never Say Never.


I've already watched Monsters Vs. Aliens a few times before, and I really enjoy it. It's a clever movie with clever characters and clever references to sci-fi movies and TV show. It's always a nice watch.

I finally saw The Artist, so yeah. It's definitely cute and well done as a silent movie tribute, but if I wanted to watch a movie about silent film actors trying to transition to talkies, I'll stick with Singing in the Rain, thank you very much.

As for Never Say Never...okay look, I never hated Justin Bieber, I never knew WHY I'm supposed to hate him. I grew up with seeing music videos of N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Aaron Carter, and Jesse McCartney all the time (Nickelodeon was my best friend) so I'm used to this sort thing. Not only that, but this kid got his start by posting low quality videos on Youtube. I can relate, is what I'm saying. His music is bland, yes, though I do like the music from the My Worlds album (the album tour the documentary covers) a lot more than his more recent crap. Anyway, I just never got why EVERYONE on the Internet hates him.

That said, the documentary covers Bieber's Madison Square Garden performance, the preparation of said performance, and his success story, and you know what? I liked it. I was really interested in...well, everything. The build-up on Youtube, the performances in small venues, the camaraderie behind the scenes, etc.

The part that really spoke to me was when it was a few days before the MSG performance and his vocal chords were shot. They had post-pone a concert (not THE concert, mind you) and he basically was forbidden to talk for a few days. This struck a chord with me because, recently, I saw Owl City (Adam Young is my favorite artist) in Seattle, and he said that he was losing his voice that night (still a great show, though). I waited afterwards with other fans for a chance to get an autograph, and when he finally came out, he went straight to the bus (with a few apologies, of course). I don't really blame him; touring is hard work, he was kind of sick, and he's all around introverted and shy on top of that (I did get Breanne Düren's autograph, though). Also, last year while on tour, Adam's vocal chords were so shot that he coughed up blood. So I sympathized with Bieber when he had to stay silent, because I could only imagine what it would be like to be 16 and having to go through all that just to live your dream. At least Adam is 27, so he's certainly used to it by now.

So yeah, The Artist was okay, and Never Say Never was a good watch, for me at least. I don't watch a lot of music documentaries, so there are probably (if not definitely) more better ones out there.

Also, at the Berlin train station, I bought the 1st season of Sherlock. Sweet, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment