Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Owl City's The Midsummer Station

It's been a crazy week for us HootOwls. The new album, The Midsummer Station, came out today, yes,  but before even that, Adam Young created his own Tumblr blog and posted a preview, a remix, and two demos. The man is able to produce songs on a plane ride.

Now, this new album is fairly different from his previous work under the Owl City title, different enough to divide a fanbase. On previous albums, all of the songs were written by Adam and only Adam (and produced with help of Matt Thiessen of Relient K fame, they seem to be best buds). With this new album, Adam decided to branch out and team up with other writers and producers. The result is something that many describe as have a "Top 40" sound, and considering one of the songs is currently IN the Top 40, I'm not surprised.

So let's just do this song by song, a'ight?

Dreams & Disasters
Adam Young said on Twitter that one of his songs was inspired by Cowboys & Aliens; I suspect it was this one. It sounds like a euro-dance track with some subtle country sounds in there. I dig it. Big, dancy, belty, nice work.

Shooting Star
This was said to be a left over idea from the album Ocean Eyes that was finally salvaged by Adam and the production team Stargate. It has a subtle, "traditional" Owl City sound. It's also another inspirational dance track. This was one of the four songs from the Shooting Star EP, which he put out to give the fans a taste of what to expect. This was when the fanbase got divided over the new sound. As for this song, I love the melody and I feel it's a better "inspirational" song than Dreams & Disasters.

Gold
Incidentally, the only track that Adam didn't write the lyrics for. This was also on the Shooting Star EPSo it's more of a soaring love proclamation, and it's spectacular. I love it a lot. I want to say it's my favorite from the EP.

Dementia (feat. Mark Hoppus)
Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 fame with Owl City. And it's awesome. This is what Owl City doing Rock sounds like. Another one from the EP, and it holds a special place in my heart.

I'm Coming After You
Oh my non-existent God. Apparently, since Ocean Eyes, it's tradition to include a tongue-in-cheek song on each album. Dental Care, Rugs From Me To You, Deer In The Headlights, and now this. It's basically full of police themed pick-up lines. The perfect song for Batman and Catwoman, or Belarus and Russia from Hetalia.

Speed of Love
Adam does a lot of love songs. This one also really dancy, but I don't like as much as others. Granted, there isn't an Owl City song I dislike, but this one just alright.

Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
If you remember, I did a blogpost where I basically wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Since then, I've come to the conclusion that I want Adam to be successful, and teaming up with the girl from Call Me Maybe got him his biggest hit since Fireflies. I have to respect that. Also, my heart smiles whenever I hear this on the radio, and yeah, it has grown a lot on me. It puts a smile on my face.

I just realized, Breanne Düran isn't on this CD. She usually is. She was the female vocalist on The Saltwater Room, Honey & The Bee, Air Traffic, and others. Kinda sad, but she's still touring with Adam, so that's nice.

Embers
I...it's just perfect. The soaring melody, the more organic sound, the lyrics, EVERYTHING!!!

Silhouette
The only song on the album solely by Adam. Rivals Lonely Lullaby in somber ballads. It's so beautiful. I...excuse me. *tear*

Metropolis
Word of Adam states it's about Superman, despite it not mentioning him by name. Should mention once again the Matt Thiessen of Relient K helped out a lot with this album. This is reportedly Matt's favorite track from the album. For some reason, I feel like this song could fit in well on the Maybe I'm Dreaming... album. How many times can I end a sentence with the word 'album'?

Take It All Away
The last song on both the album and the EP. At first, I was kind of mocking this song because it sounded like Dynamite and What Makes You Beautiful if the tempo was slowed down. If I knew what I was doing, I could do a mash-up with those three songs. But as time went on, it grew on me. I love singing along with this, because it's kind of challenge to do so, but also, if emotional trouble happens along this road called Life, this song will definitely be with me to help.

Extra songs

Bombshell Blonde
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh wow. Basically, it's really dark sounding, dubstep-ish pick-up song. It's...special.

Top of the World
The special Japanese bonus track, because I don't know. Nice, dancy, fun, so yeah.

All around, a pretty solid album. At least I liked it.

And for fun here are those two demo songs I talked about earlier.

Beautiful Mystery


Paper Tigers


Excellent, both of them.

Peace out, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment