Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Review Must Go On

If you haven't seen it, Doug Walker has released a mini-movie in which he finishes Demo Reel and brings back the Nostalgia Critic. See here for details.

An excellent video, I must say.

In case you were wondering, I'm someone who actually liked Demo Reel, and it is a bit heartbreaking to see it go away (or rather, stop). I very much enjoyed the character interactions and the comedy.

But I do respect the creator's choice (if, of course, what is portrayed on screen is the true reason for bringing NC back, and not just 'supply and demand'), but afterwards, I started thinking of my own reviews, and how much I've changed since November, or even when I started out.

I asked myself a few questions. Why does this concept of passion seem to escape me? Why do I not feel like finishing the damn Clown story-arc? Will I be invigorated once I do? But most importantly, What happened to me?

What happened to the enthusiastic 15-year-old who had so many ideas and seemed to be only held back by schoolwork rather than his own lethargy? Why has he become so apathetic to almost everything except for his own neuroses? Is it the homesickness? Does the pain of his first break-up still permeate, even subtly so? Why has he become less confident in his opinions? Where is that confidence? Where is that passion? Why can't he work through it? Why is he so skittish and afraid now?

And what in God's name was he thinking somehow bringing in three fucking characters to review shit?


I've have never once thought about officially stopping, but as I sit here drowning in the memories the albums of DragonForce bring back, I think about how I can even continue if I just don't feel like doing a goddamn thing.

2 comments:

  1. you're not alone. i do have a like for demo reel and i do ask myself questions on my reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it comes to a point for everyone that they just need time to themselves. You're probably just burnt out, and you just need a break. Everyone goes through life, and things of more importance come out of the wood work. Give it time. Sometimes the thing that gives us passion can come from the places we least expect. :)

    ReplyDelete