Friday, May 18, 2012

The Thing With Twitter Followers

So I've been on Twitter quite a lot. As of right now I have 43 followers. The things is I have no idea why some of them are following me.


Some time ago, tweeted something like "If marriage is a sacred religious institution, why can I, an atheist, get married?" obviously in reference to the gay marriage debate. After that, some account called "Conversion Points" followed me. As it turns out, "Conversion Points", or "@ConversionRadio", is an über Christian account that spends most of its time trolling militant atheists with such tweets like "Atheism denies the functional use of logic and reason while Religion embraces it." They're still following me, and I don't know why.

Recently, quite a few musicians started following me, such as "Jamestown Story", "The Spin Room", "Go Periscope", and "Sail by the Stars". Admittedly, I do like hearing new music, especially by almost unknown acts like these, but I'm getting the idea that they are only following me just so that I would go and check out and maybe buy their music. In cases like "Sail by the Stars", it worked. I get the idea, it's like on Youtube where bands would send videos of their songs to random people, that's how I found out about "The OverUnder" and "Echo & Drake", but somehow I think that a "follower" should be someone who is somewhat interested in what the "followy" has to say. You know, a "fan".

Yes, I do have actual fans following me, but it makes me wonder if any of these musicians have ever even watched one of my videos, or is even remotely interested in what I do. Somehow, I doubt that.

I don't know, I just find it disconcerting.

No comments:

Post a Comment