Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cars 2

About now, John Turturro has two movies out, both of which are sequels and both of which involve animated, talking cars. This one is the better one.

I haven't seen the first Cars in a while, but from what I can remember, it can be basically summed up as "Doc Hollywood with cars". This one avoids the trap of sequels being remakes in disguise by being "007 with cars" and being fully aware of it.

Yes, for the first time, Pixar has made a film that wasn't meant for the Academy, but instead for all the little kids who love Cars and the toy line. Personally, I find it perfectly reasonable for Pixar to do this. Sometimes, dramatic actors take breaks from serious performances by acting in light-hearted comedies, so why can't Pixar do the same?

Now, the movie isn't really bad in anyway, it's a shallow blockbuster that will keep the kids entertained, so mission accomplished I guess.

However, I wasn't really crazy about this movie mostly because I just don't like spy movies. When I watched this, I had this sinking, lackluster feeling that I haven't felt since I watched Goldfinger.

It's not bad, it's just not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment