Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Transformers: The Dark of the Moon

When I was a naive lad of 14, I saw a movie called Transformers and thought it was awesome. Keep in mind, this was 2007, just a year before I discovered web personalities James Rolfe, Doug Walker, and Bob "Moviebob" Chipman. Because of them, I grew an interest in film. From then on, my taste in films migrated away from junk action movies.

In 2009, I saw Revenge of the Fallen and it was the most irritatingly, annoyingly long theater experience of my adolescent life.

As for Dark of the Moon, while it is less teeth grinding than the last one, it is still needlessly long. A full hour and a half is spent on making this seem more important than it is by relating it to certain events in history. We all knew about the Apollo conspiracy from the first trailer, but what the trailers DIDN'T tell me was that there was a part where a few characters go to Chernobyl to poke around the ruins. They also got THE REAL LIFE BUZZ ALDRIN for a cameo. I should be laughing at how delusional the film seems to be, thinking it is a grand cinematic epic and not an extended summer popcorn movie, but instead, I just feel insulted.

Also, Mr. Bay, I know Leonard Nimoy is married to your cousin, good on you, but next time you bring him into one of your movies, keep the Star Trek references to a minimum. Wheelie watching the episode where "Spock goes crazy"? Fairly clever. Sentinel Prime (Nimoy) saying "The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few." in a menacing tone? WAY TOO FAR!

While I will admit that the Battle of Chicago sequence was pretty well done, the film is still too long. Unless they wanted to make a character drama, a movie with giant robots should not be more than 2 hours long.

No comments:

Post a Comment