Thursday, July 18, 2013

Catching Up

I've seen quite a few movies in the month following Man of Steel. 

Star Trek Into Darkness

I haven't watched a lot of Star Trek. Growing up, I have caught a few Next Generation episodes here and there, so I've always been aware of it. I did see the first Abrams' Star Trek in theaters, and haven't watched it since. As for this film, I can really only say that it was okay. The moments with the characters bouncing off each others' personalities were very fun and interesting, and left me wanting more of it. Sadly, I was left wanting more because those moments are pretty sparse in-comparison to the admittedly well-shot action scenes (no shaky-cam, thank god) and the convoluted plot. I can't say that it's bad, it's just not a film I can go back to, because it didn't give me much of a reason to. At the very least, it's fun to watch/read critics I respect tear it apart.

Equestria Girls

I'm currently still in the pre-scripting stages of making a review of this film. The thing is, I'm very aware that most of the problems I have with the film are very personal emotions. The best way I can describe it is seething disappointment. I have watched this movie twice (once in the theater), and both times left me in a stage of contempt, and I'm still trying to rationalize most of it (easier said than done). At least one good song, though.

Monsters University

Not the worst school-centered animated film based off a nostalgic property I saw that week. Some good jokes, interesting ideas, but ultimately, not much else to it (at least for me).

Pacific Rim

Very fun. Pretty flat characters, yes, but they get the job done, somewhat. Not sure if I would revisit though. Oh well then. Better than Into Darkness, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment