Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Good Time" by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen



Okay, I'm a Hoot Owl (translation: Owl City fan), I have all of the Owl City albums on my iPod, and the Sky Sailing album; and the covers of "Enchanted", "Home of the Blues", "Garden Party", and "In Christ Alone" (despite my Atheism); and I ordered a vinyl record of All Things Bright and Beautiful. Adam Young is my favorite music artist, and I gotta tell ya, I have no idea how to feel about this.

I assume we all know Carly Rae Jepsen from "Call Me Maybe", but apparently she has other work that you can buy on Canadian iTunes. My quarrel is not with her. "Call Me Maybe" is unspeakably catchy. I'm okay with that. My issue here is that I don't know if I should feel annoyed that Adam did a catchy party song similar to every other pop song from the past 2 years, or if I should stop worrying about it; considering I actually enjoyed some of those very pop songs myself.

Let's just say that Adam doesn't normally write songs like this, anyone who has listened to "Fireflies" knows that. And as I sit here writing this, listening to the song repeatedly, I still don't know how to feel. I'm okay with party songs like "Tik Tok", "Club Can't Handle Me", or "Party Rock Anthem" probably because that sorta fits their personalities. I guess it's really weird for Adam to write songs like this. One part of me feels like it's "selling out", and another part is berating me for even considering that. Saying someone "sold out" just sounds stereotypically hipster to me.

This is going to take a while to grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment