Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Soul Eatober - Episode 13

"The Man With the Magic Eye"

Medusa breaks an immortal convict out of witch prison and sends him after Soul and Maka. He's played by Travis Willingham, so the scenes with him talking to Medusa is kind of like Mori talking to Honey (from Ouran High School Host Club) and it makes me happy.

In the previous episode, Maka asked Dr. Stein for special lessons. In this episode, she and Soul get them in the form of a sort of therapy involving listing off each other's flaws in a room filled with emotion heightening candles. So throughout the episode, they're sort of at each other's throats.

I think I enjoy the concept more than I enjoy the execution, which might make me enjoy the episode anyway. It falls into that problem where you have to set up a problem but also advance other parts of the plot, leaving some things a little bit to be desired. But as it is, it does get the job done pretty well. It helps that Maka and Soul are likable.

Oh yeah, and I finally laughed at a moment involving Black Star! So there's improvement.

I'm not sure if this is the last episode with "Resonance" and "I Wanna Be" as the opening and closing themes. There are some anime I've watched where they change theme every 13 or so episodes, but I don't recall, say, Ouran having any other themes. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Two discs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment