Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Soul Eatober - Episode 24

"The Battle of the Gods"

Okay, so the Kishin, originally a student of Lord Death named Asura, is awakened and starts to wreck shit up. And then Lord Death shows up like a badass and they duke it out and it's awesome.

Basically, this is the episode that wraps up the arc, and it does a good job. I'm considering it in my favorites.

Asura's design is in that sweet spot between cool/good-looking and creepy-as-hell. And now we have a new Big Bad to deal with. Oh what fun. Especially since Stein already axed (scythed?) Medusa (OR DOES HE?!)

Something that's sort of been bugging me (even if it is just something that shows up very briefly) is the use of Blair. In the first episode, Blair was the Grim Reaper to Maka and Soul's Alucard from Symphony of the Night. In that game, Alucard starts off with weapons and power that would kill all enemies in one hit, and then Death shows up and strips him of everything. That same sort of thing happened with Maka and Soul when they thought they had accomplished their goal by taking Blair's 'witch' soul and then found out they hadn't, throwing them back to square one. You'd think a character of that much importance would then get some more development, but apparently not. All she does, and I stress, ALL SHE DOES, is provide fan-service and comedy from other male characters reacting to her looks. It bugs the shit out of me because I do like her design (not that way, mostly) and would like to see her grow as a character, but it seems like she doesn't get to do much else. It's sorta like Flash Sentry from Equestria Girls, in that he's a character who is only in the story for one purpose (in his case, shallow love interest), except Flash had even less to do and had little to no personality and/or character (he also wasn't constantly used as fan-service, hence the "sorta"). I'd just like to see other sides of Blair's personality, okay?

And since I'm on the topic of characters I like, I think I'll close tonight's entry by stating that ERUKA FROG IS SO GODDAMN ADORABLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment