Thursday, October 31, 2013

Soul Eatober - Episodes 50-51

"Sink or Swim"

Kid and Black Star fight off Asura and manage to defeat his giant monster form. But anyone who has played any RPG ever knows that the final boss always has more than one form. So they manage to get him into his more human form.

Maka sees past the black blood demon's trickery and saves Soul. The demon shrinks down in form, but Soul accepts the demon as a part of him, by swallowing him. Maka and Soul make it back to "reality" only to find that their friends knocked-out and Asura gloating.

"The Word is Bravery"

There's is no opening theme. The credits just run while Maka and Soul prepare for battle.

Soul and Maka try to fight. They even manage to use a technique called "Kishin Hunter" but that doesn't work (mostly because of some quasi philosophical jargon that Asura spouts). Soul is knocked out, leaving Maka on her own. At one point, she tries to fight unconsciously, and since she has weapon blood in her (apparently) she was able to battle with scythe blades coming from her body. This concept probably wasn't developed well in the preceding 50 episodes. But even that doesn't work. What does work? Expositing about "bravery" and punching Asura IN THE FUCKING FACE!!! Sure, that kind of thing seems like something out of Friendship is Magic, but if there's any abstract concept that I would believe being turned into some weaponized form, it would probably be "bravery". Better that than having "friendship" being used over and over and over and over.

And so Asura is dead and gone, everyone else has survived, and the epilogue is shown during the end credits while "I Wanna Be" plays one last time.

I've heard that people didn't like the ending to the anime. Maybe it's the "bravery" thing, but me, I feel somewhat satisfied. And also a little sad. I mean, yeah, there's the manga, with so much more material, but even that ended recently. And there's Soul Eater NOT!

It's strange. I've finished it, and it was a helluva journey. In a way I should be happy there's an end, but I'm also sad that I may not get more (unless they make an NOT! anime).

It just makes me wonder, "what do I do now?" I guess trying to write more. That seems like a start.

Goddamn I love this show.

Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment