Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Soul Eatober - Episodes 1-2

Since it is the beginning of Halloween season, I random came up with an idea: Watch all of Soul Eater throughout October.

This isn't my first time watching Soul Eater. I've come across in a high school anime club years ago, and I bought a box-set with the first 13 episodes. As I recall, I watched 12 out of the 13. And there's 51 episodes to get through. Don't worry, I planned it out.

So, first episode is "Resonance of the Soul", in which we get the general feel of this world through exposition, art design, character setup, and exposition about character setup.

So there are Meisters and Weapons. If a team of the aforementioned can collect the corrupted souls of 99 evil "kieshens" and 1 witch, the weapon can become a weapon of Lord Death.

Now that I think of it, even the awkward exposition in the show explains it better.

The main characters in this episode are Maka Albarn and Soul Eater. Upon collecting the 99th "kieshen" soul, they must obtain the soul of a witch. The episode shows their plight in trying to kill someone named Blair. Long story short, she wasn't the witch they were looking for. She wasn't even a witch, "just a cat with lots of magical power". (Blair Witch joke, haha) Honestly, whenever I see her, I just think "older fan-service Nepeta from Homestuck", which is a pretty good thing, since I like Nepeta anyway.

Soul and Maka are pretty likable, even if Soul's constant talking about being cool makes me want to dislike him on principle. Though I think his always wanting to be cool might be a written flaw. Also of note is Maka's backstory involving her cheating bastard of a father, who is Lord Death's personal weapon and voiced by Vic Mignogna. From I can remember, I actually liked the story going on between Maka and her father (Maka not being trusting for a damn good reason, and Death Scythe trying to prove to her that he loves her). It helps that Death Scythe is a likable jackass.

This show seems to have a visual style that I would describe as "Naruto by way of '90s Tim Burton". I like it. I also like Maka saying "Your soul is mine."

So the second episode is another prologue, so this show will focus on more than one groups. Fun.

"I Am The Star!"

I want to punch Black Star in the throat.

I get it. I get that's the point to his character, but it just doesn't seem like I will ever like him as much as they want me to.

Also, the dub keeps having him say "big" a lot. I'm wondering if in Japanese, the word for "big" can also translate into "great", like the German word "groß". "Great" would've been the better word to use here, because then he would just sound like an arrogant twit than just a complete idiot.

I could comment that his teaming with the ever-so patient Tsubaki is a good match, but they have Maka and Soul do that for me.

Though, by the end Black Star does show some promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment